Research, design and development
Employees / Staff
About the role
This position concerns development of software for military systems, with a particular focus on application of new techniques and technologies to challenging real-world problems. Responsibilities will include development of high performance, reusable code for deployment in technology demonstrators, prototype and new products; collaboration with engineers and specialists to deliver high quality solutions to meet user needs, and; rigorous debug, performance test and documentation of code.
Duties and Responsibilities
- • Producing clean, efficient code based on requirements, specifications and the direction and guidance of engineering colleagues and specialists
- • Use suite of development tools (IDE, SCM, Issue Tracking, CI, etc) following agile process to ensure efficient delivery and communication of progress, problems and blockers
- • Test, debug and improve own code and the work of teammates to allow delivery to schedule
- • Communicate to achieve consensus with peers, deliver clear status updates to help the team track progress and identify issues
- • Establish deadlines and approach for completing some assignments, collaborate with teammates to set approach and schedule for larger goals
Experience and technical skills
- • Bachelor of Computer Science / Engineering or equivalent work experience
- • Minimum 2y programming experience in building real-time, performance sensitive systems
- • Expertise in multiple software systems design tools and languages, with a high level of proficiency in C++ and experience with libraries such as Boost, Eigen, HDF5, OpenCV
- • Experience using containerisation, distributed systems and virtualisation technologies
- • Experience writing and debugging multithreaded programs and programming GPUs (CUDA, OpenCL)
- • Hands-on experience with EO, IR, INS, IMU, GPS sensors
- • Experience working to DevOps / Agile processes including use of Source Control (Git, SVN, etc), Issue Tracking (Jira, Github, etc) and Continuous Integration tools (Gitlab, Jenkins, etc)
- • Fundamental knowledge of secure coding processes, application security and security protocols
- • Experience with parallel programming or Data Distribution Service for real-time systems
- • Organised; can manage own time and effort effectively, capable of setting and meeting deadlines as well as holding others to account, has a strong sense of urgency for critical tasks
- • Takes ownership and responsibility; has strong attention to detail and shows care and pride in their work, able to exercise independent judgment to identify improvements and solutions to problems
- • Strong communication skills; capable of effectively communicating with internal stakeholders, exhibits an inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility
- • Works effectively in a small team environment; provide constructive approaches to solve issues, seek consensus and know when to ask for help
How to Apply
Candidates must currently have the legal right to work in Australia to be eligible to apply for this position.
Please note all final applicants for this position will be asked to complete a national police check and each application will be considered on its merits.
All applications should include a covering letter and up to date CV and be submitted to the attention of Human Resources quoting reference number SD092020.
To submit your application on our website it is best to use Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer on a desktop. If you have any issues submitting your application please contact Emma on 02 9796 6600.
Applications Close: Tuesday, 6 October 2020
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 84,000 employees and holds, alone or in partnership, world or European leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and Innovation roadmap.
Safran is featured on the "Happy at work" rankings. The Group places fourth on the Capital ranking for best employers in France.
Safran Electronics & Defense is a world leading supplier of products and services that handle observation, decision and guidance functions for both civil and military applications. The company understands and applies a wide range of the state-of-the-art technologies that underpin embedded intelligence in many different areas, as a supplier to some of today's most innovative aerospace and defense programs.