Image Processing Engineer
Research, design and development
Employees / Staff
About the role
This position concerns development of advanced image processing algorithms, with a particular focus on application of new techniques and technologies to deliver proof of concept solutions to challenging real-world military problems. Responsibilities include conceiving, researching, prototyping, and evaluating new algorithms, systems and architectures; supporting the transition of prototypes into technology demonstrators; and validation and optimisation of solutions developed.
Duties and Responsibilities
- • Gather, analyse and prioritise user needs and performance requirements
- • Conceive, research, develop and evaluate novel approaches, algorithms, systems & architectures
- • Rapid exploration of solutions and prototyping in high-level languages
- • Guide colleagues in, and evaluation of production implementations of image processing algorithms/pipelines
- • Analyse and investigate the performance of, identify bottlenecks and opportunities for improvement, and, optimise and extend image processing algorithms and pipelines
- • Actively participate in the development and protection of intellectual property
- • Contribute to new proposals for collaborative or externally funded research projects
- • Continually enhance knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories
Experience and technical skills
- • Master's Degree in Computer Science related discipline
- • Demonstrable experience in the field of image processing or computer vision with strong theoretical and practical foundation, and one or more of the following: pattern recognition, data fusion, tracking, artificial intelligence or similar
- • Experience in design, validation, and characterization of algorithms and/or systems
- • Experience developing deep learning models and general use of AI frameworks
- • High level of proficiency in Matlab and one or more of the following C | C++ | Python
- • Experience with multispectral sensors (particularly infrared)
- • Experience of physics based modelling and simulation software (Gazebo, ROS, AirSim, etc)
- • Experience developing computer games (Unreal, Unity, etc)
- • Proactive; exhibits a passion for research and technology with the capability and desire to learn, takes initiative, experiments and find solutions without needing to be told what to do
- • Organised; comfortable working independently, takes a proactive approach to managing own time and effort setting and holding themselves to realistic deadlines, has a strong sense of urgency for critical tasks
- • Teamwork; exhibits an inclination towards communication, inclusion, and mentorship
- • Strong communication skills; capable of effectively documenting and reporting their work and communicating with research collaborators and internal stakeholders at widely varying levels of technical detail/understanding
How to Apply
Candidates must currently have the legal right to work in Australia to be eligible to apply for this position.
Please note all final applicants for this position will be asked to complete a national police check and each application will be considered on its merits.
All applications should include a covering letter and up to date CV and be submitted to the attention of Human Resources quoting reference number IPE0920.
To submit your application on our website it is best to use Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer on a desktop. If you have any issues submitting your application please contact Emma on 02 9796 6600.
Applications Close: Tuesday, 6 October 2020
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 84,000 employees and holds, alone or in partnership, world or European leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and Innovation roadmap.
Safran is featured on the "Happy at work" rankings. The Group places fourth on the Capital ranking for best employers in France.
Safran Electronics & Defense is a world leading supplier of products and services that handle observation, decision and guidance functions for both civil and military applications. The company understands and applies a wide range of the state-of-the-art technologies that underpin embedded intelligence in many different areas, as a supplier to some of today's most innovative aerospace and defense programs.